THE HIDDEN COST OF EATING MEAT:
* The Amazon Forest releases 20 Billion tons of fresh water into the atmosphere every day.
* 24 Hours of deforestation releases as much CO2 as 8 million people flying from London to New York.
* Every second, a section of rain forest the size of a football field is destroyed to produce 257 hamburgers.
* More than 90% of the Amazon Forest cleared since 1970 is used for livestock pasture.
* 16 pounds of grain is needed to produce 1 pound of beef.
* Factory-farm cows never die of hunger, yet a child dies of hunger every 2.3 seconds.
* 1.2 billion people suffer from hunger, and another 1.2 billion are obese.
* Every year, 760 million tons of grain is fed to livestock. It could solve the global food shortage 14 times over!
* Grain fed to livestock loses 90% of its energy by the time it’s consumed as meat.
* 1 hectare of land produces potatoes for 22 people. 1 hectare of land produces rice for 19 people.
* 1 hectare of land produces lamb for 2 people.
* 1 hectare of land produces beef for 1 person.
* 1.1 billion people live without safe clean drinking water – that’s 1 in 6 of us.
* 19,737 liters of water are needed to produce 1 pound of beef. This is enough water to take a 7-minute shower every day for an entire year.
* Livestock in the U.S. produces 86,000 pounds of excrement per second – that’s 130 times more than the entire human population.
If the future of the world depended on me, what would I do?
You have the power to stop this now! It’s on your plate.
Go Green! Be Veg.